Monday, February 14, 2011

A Bloodless Valentine

Today I am feeling great!  This morning I had my usual appointment down in Salt Lake with the ECP for the GvH from the Cancer.  I think today was the first time out of the last four appointments that I did not get a big spot of blood on my sleeve.  I talk a little about the appointments here, and here.  The gist of it is I am hooked up to a machine with an I.V. in my arm, and I am unable to move it for a few hours while the treatment runs.  After the treatment, the nurse wraps it up tight, and I am given instructions to not take it off for a few hours.  But it itches, it irritates, the hairs on my arm get stuck in it and ripped out—overall, mostly unpleasant.  I try my best to wait the allotted time, but it is so uncomfortable!  I lift the bandage . . . no immediate bleeding.  I rejoice, remove the wrap, throw it away, and one minute later I notice a dark red streak on my sleeve.*  But today was awesome!  I was blood free after removing the wrap.  

It made me think a little about how vital patience is in our lives.  The adage is true that says the best things in life are worth waiting for.  We have patience as it helps us to overcome the faults and weaknesses we have.  We are willing to accept God’s will and His timing.  We have faith and hope to wait for the Lords promised blessings.

For Valentine’s Day, how wonderful is the example of Jacob from Genesis chapter 29.  Jacob meets and falls in love with Rachel.  He promises her father, Laban, that He will work for her seven years.  The passage reads “And Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him but a few days, for the love he had to her.”  Jacob is instead given the older sister, Leah for a wife.  But with the love and patience Jacob had, he served another seven years and was able to have Rachel as a wife.  How many of us would work 14 years for the spouse we have?  Let us cherish those we love, and have patience with them.  Let us see the good qualities, and try to lift them up in all we do.

*F.Y.I. Hydrogen peroxide works really well to get the blood out, wash with cold water in the sink, and then send through the laundry ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...