Monday, February 21, 2011

What Do You Give The Man Who Has Everything?

It is probably and a most definite possibility that today is one of the best days ever.  As you are most undoubtedly well aware, today is my birthday.  As a person reaches the age that I have (a full twenty two years of age) it causes one to reflect and ponder about their life.  What have I done with the time given to me?  What have been the triumphs, or success I have had?  (A person my age knows it is best to focus on positive things, and look forward with hope and faith).

I realize that it can be difficult to know what to get a person of renown like myself for their birthday.  When a person has all the world has to offer, what more could they want?  A few people have ventured to ask me what the best gifts are to get a person of my stature.  I realize many more of you may be too intimidated by my prestige to ask.  Out of the generosity and kindness and humility of my heart, today, I have conceded to provide a few suggestions of the birthday gifts to get a person such as myself.


On a more serious note, I feel one of the best gifts I have been given is this opportunity to serve as a missionary.  The blessing of sharing the gospel with others is something I never could have anticipated.  We read of gifts in the Bible—“If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?”  Like the mission I am currently serving, the best gifts in our lives come from God, our Father in Heaven.  I feel this mission has meant so much to me because it has helped to share the true greatest gift we have, which is of course God’s Only Begotten Son, our Savior, Jesus Christ.  I know He loves us, and I know He wants the very best for us.  We learn in the scriptures that “when [we] are in the service of [our] fellow beings [we] our only in the service of [our] God.”  Jesus Christ, who is the example for us all, asked us that we love God, and love our fellow men.  As we serve others, it is like saying thank you for the gift He has given us.  The best gift we can share with anyone is to help them come closer to Jesus Christ in their lives.  As this hymn illustrates, people come to know the love of Christ as we help them experience and as we share that love with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...