Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"Mormon Mingles;" A New Adventure


I have always liked adventures, whether it is from a good book, or a movie, but most especially the adventures I have had in my own life.  I remember as I was little making “forts” with blankets over the furniture inside the house, also the fun we had “exploring” on camping trips I went on with my family.  I feel the enticement lay in the possibility of the unknown—a possibility that the extraordinary might happen.  Here is a picture of some of the other missionaries who serve here having an adventure of their own.  (Left to right, Elders LeeMaster, McMullin, Edmons, Albright and Baird)  Sometimes I feel that the extraordinary we find in our own lives is often disguised as dull, or boring.  I understand that most amazing feats come from countless hours of preparation, working through the mundane with a hope for accomplishment.

I feel I am able to find the same sense of excitement in my life today as I come across the unknown.  When this happens I have found the time for preparation is gone, and we need to rely on the choices we have made through mundane experiences we have had in the past.  Were we committed then, and is that commitment enough to get us through the challenge we now face?  For me, I feel coming on a mission has been an adventure for me.  As I started I did not know what it was I would be doing when I first arrived here.  I was able to soon learn I would be teaching people over chat or the phone, and it was much more challenging then I originally anticipated.  I find I still have a lot of room to grow and learn.  Recently we are again branching out in what I feel is a “new frontier,” and that is with the “Mormon Mingles.”

 A “Mormon Mingle” is designed as a way for us to establish a “web” of contacts on the internet.  Through this web we are hoping to fulfill our purpose as missionaries to invite all to come unto Christ.  But how do we do this?  How do we address the needs of so many unique individuals?  How do we work with those who are strong members, and those who are learning both at the same time?  How do we reach new people and find those who are seeking for the truth?  How can we make sure people are not left out or trodden down?  How do we become effective tools which the Lord can use to reach all those who “labour and are heavy laden?”

There are 1000 other questions which I am sure we will find as we develop this further.  How boring would life be if we knew the plan and everything we had to do?  We know God has sent us here on earth to learn, and to grow, and to have joy.  It has become apparent in my life that these are meant to go hand in hand.  We find joy in learning.  The joy comes from the accomplishment, knowing we have overcome, and found a better way.  We are not expected to do everything on our own, but we are to do “many things of [our] own free will, and bring to pass much righteousness.”  I feel blessed to be here as a missionary, and I am grateful for the opportunity that I have to learn while I am here and help others find the same blessings I have felt in my own life in Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...