Tuesday, July 22, 2014

What Makes a Home?

The apartments were just right behind me when I took this photo
The strangest thing happened when I walked home yesterday.  As I was walking up to the building, I noticed that the outside door- where I need to get a card swipe was broken. It seemed the automatic doohicky-thing at the top had gotten stuck. I did not like it being open, so I gave it a good tug and successfully jammed the door closed (I tried to get it open again, but found now only the one side was useable).  I figured I would call someone about it later. As I walked in I noticed a second odd thing.  Being that our door handle instead of being parallel to the floor was off at a little angle. As I grabbed the handle, I noticed it seemed to work ok, but, our door was unlocked--which it should not have been. By this time I could definitely tell something was off...
Not written. . . carved/scraped in!
As I walked into the room I noticed first, that we had a new couch. My first thought was that we had had a fourth roommate move in. I am here with a summer program, one roommate is in my program, one is not, so I thought we might have had a super late arrival who brought with them a couch.  But, I did not walk in quite yet, something seemed to hold me at the door. I literally began to spin on the spot looking at everything there. I then noticed a few other things. 

Someone had taken the bed out of the extra room and stacked it against the wall vertically. Again- probably the new arrival. I also noticed that the kitchen table had been moved--probably to make room for the chair.  But one thing I couldn't quite get was the oven.  The oven had been changed. Instead of an old electric oven, there was a gas oven. While I prefer the gas ovens, I couldn't quite figure this out. So I looked through again (literally spinning again). I will bring you on a circular tour of the apartment as I saw it:
Be inspired!

mattress/bed -new, already noted.
couch- same.
couch- same.
coffee table -same.
table +4 chairs -same.
couch -same.
couch -new, already noted.
carpet -same.
counter + cabinents -same.
oven -???
fridge -same.
back to oven???
 Who would change out one old oven for another old oven??
Ok, now lets retrace my steps. Where was I before walking in? thinking back... I don't remember. . . wait . . .ah! I was in the wrong building! Yep, it could happen to anyone who lives in apartments where every building is built the exact same!

My second story, it about a bunny.  But, maybe not as cute and fuzzy as most bunny stories (accepting Tim's friend).
Apparently, DNA looks like this!
Last weekend we were in Bloomington. To look around the campus and get a feel of what is there. While trying to find our way around, we stopped to ask a man walking his dog for directions. While we were talking to him- his dog found a squeak toy in the grass. Op, it was not a squeak toy, it was a very baby rabbit. There were rabbits everywhere, and this one was about the size of an orange all rolled up fur and all. I then also was confused at why it was there, and on further investigation found that there was a little next right there in the grass, in the middle of the field. As far as I could tell there was not a burrow there. I thought, without predators around campus, perhaps the mother rabbit had not felt a need to have a protective home. I am not sure if the dog killed the rabbit.  But, if he did not, I don't think the lawn mower will be as kind when it comes around.

All this has made me think about home, times of peace, and how we can be safe.  It all seemed to fit in nicely with this parable I read this morning:
 43 And now, I will show unto you a parable, that you may know my will concerning the redemption of Zion.
 44 A certain nobleman had a spot of land, very choice; and he said unto his servants: Go ye unto my vineyard, even upon this very choice piece of land, and plant twelve olive trees;
This nobleman also had a very nice car!
 45 And set watchmen round about them, and build a tower, that one may overlook the land round about, to be a watchman upon the tower, that mine olive trees may not be broken down when the enemy shall come to spoil and take upon themselves the fruit of my vineyard.
What one might see from a tower
 46 Now, the servants of the nobleman went and did as their lord commanded them, and planted the olive trees, and built a hedge round about, and set watchmen, and began to build a tower.
These towers are close together
 47 And while they were yet laying the foundation thereof, they began to say among themselves: And what need hath my lord of this tower?
 48 And consulted for a long time, saying among themselves: What need hath my lord of this tower, seeing this is a time of peace?
 49 Might not this money be given to the exchangers? For there is no need of these things.
 50 And while they were at variance one with another they became very slothful, and they hearkened not unto the commandments of their lord.
A fruitful vineyard.
 51 And the enemy came by night, and broke down the hedge; and the servants of the nobleman arose and were affrighted, and fled; and the enemy destroyed their works, and broke down the olive trees.
 52 Now, behold, the nobleman, the lord of the vineyard, called upon his servants, and said unto them, Why! what is the cause of this great evil?
 53 Ought ye not to have done even as I commanded you, and—after ye had planted the vineyard, and built the hedge round about, and set watchmen upon the walls thereof—built the tower also, and set a watchman upon the tower, and watched for my vineyard, and not have fallen asleep, lest the enemy should come upon you?
Megan made this delicious cake!
 54 And behold, the watchman upon the tower would have seen the enemy while he was yet afar off; and then ye could have made ready and kept the enemy from breaking down the hedge thereof, and saved my vineyard from the hands of the destroyer.
From the top of the Circle Monument
 55 And the lord of the vineyard said unto one of his servants: Go and gather together the residue of my servants, and take all the strength of mine house, which are my warriors, my young men, and they that are of middle age also among all my servants, who are the strength of mine house, save those only whom I have appointed to tarry;
 56 And go ye straightway unto the land of my vineyard, and redeem my vineyard; for it is mine; I have bought it with money.
 57 Therefore, get ye straightway unto my land; break down the walls of mine enemies; throw down their tower, and scatter their watchmen.
Oh, this food was way good!
 58 And inasmuch as they gather together against you, avenge me of mine enemies, that by and by I may come with the residue of mine house and possess the land.
 59 And the servant said unto his lord: When shall these things be?
 60 And he said unto his servant: When I will; go ye straightway, and do all things whatsoever I have commanded you;
 61 And this shall be my seal and blessing upon you—a faithful and wise steward in the midst of mine house, a ruler in my kingdom.
 62 And his servant went straightway, and did all things whatsoever his lord commanded him; and after many days all things were fulfilled.

For me, I would like to focus on building the towers I can. "knowing that it was easier to keep the city from falling into the hands of the Lamanites than to retake it from them" -Alma 59:9. As a tower looks out for dangers to come, so I feel that building a tower is increasing our ability to recognize spiritual promptings. God does live, and He speaks to us through the quiet promptings of His Spirit.



 This display is located in the Ronald McDonald house near where we live. I understand these things were once a collectors item and "very valuable," but now not so much. (Like Beanie Babies)





 Artsy photo number three.

 I do believe Oreo's are "Wonderfilled"

 This is a very good book!

 I was very proud of this breakfast. And, it was very delicious! Omelet, bacon, and strawberries!




 Ok, I had like 20 photos with this brain, I thought it was awesome! I thought I might only put 3 here. No, I did not get one sitting on top, as thought it might be a little immature- but it was very tempting!
 A field similar to this is where the bunny was. (see above story)

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...