Saturday, May 28, 2011

Passover at the MTC

We had a Passover celebration here in the RC, complete with lamb’s blood over the door frames. Well, not really, but they have been painting a little here.  We didn’t know they would be painting, so it was a little bit of a surprise to see how they left the wall for a few days after starting.  The good news is they did later come back and finish the painting.  In the scriptures, the Passover was a time to remember some of the many blessings which God had given to Israel.  The lamb’s blood over the door was used at the time (Exodus 12) to safeguard the house so the destroying angel would pass by.  There is probably more symbolism than what I am able to glean, but I do know that it was a representation of Jesus Christ and the sacrifice which He would make.  While we don’t have a destroying Angel coming through our city, it is always important for us to remember Jesus Christ and what He has done for us.

I tried searching for how many times the word “remember” is mentioned in the scriptures.  But, I was not able to see how many times it was individually mentioned.  However, I was able to find that it is mentioned in 275 chapters, many of the chapters multiple times. Remembering Jesus Christ is a part of the promise we make with the sacrament.  As we remember Him, and what He has done for us, it is easy to choose to follow His commandments.  We remember him, we take His name upon us, and we follow His commandments.


When we remember Jesus Christ, what does He want us to remember?  We are promised that the purpose is so we “may always have His Spirit to be with [us].”  When I think of what Christ has done, there are many things.  John says that “And there are also many other things which Jesus Did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written.  Amen.”  We read of Jesus Christ walking on water (Matthew 14), healing the sick, performing all manner of miracles.  He even raised the dead.  His teachings and philosophies were unparalleled.  I feel there is one thing which combines them all, that he lived, was crucified, and then was resurrected and rose again on the third day.  Through which He was able to break the chains of death and hell and provide the way for us to return to live with God after this life.

I feel remembering this specifically in all I do help me remember the purpose which God has for me.  It helps me to realize I can do all things as I rely on Jesus Christ and put my faith in Him.  I know that God does have high hopes for us, and that He is there to help all of us overcome the obstacles we have.  I love this gospel, and I love this church.  I know this is a living church; it is led by Jesus Christ.  Part of being in this church is recognizing His supreme triumph and His salvation.  I know it gives me support with the trials I have.

1 comment:

  1. Best blog post to read on a Sunday. I love the question you asked "what does He want us to remember?" Not sure I have ever asked myself that question. Opens up a whole new wave of ideas. The Savior truly is marvelous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...