Saturday, April 16, 2011

Leaving the One Headlight Club

Testing camera, oops!  I should turn the flash off.

In the evenings walking back from the MTC to the home where we stay, there is a fairly busy road we walk next to.  One thing which has been surprising for me is the high number of cars which I have seen with only one headlight.  On one particular evening, I believe there were just about half a dozen cars which drove by us, all with one headlight out, and we consistently see at least three every evening.  I have been starting to wonder if there is a club, and some part of being in the club was to knock out a headlight.  I have not had a chance to investigate it, and I don’t think I will.  I have decided it is not a club I want to join.

It seemed surprising to see such a large number of people going around with this handicap or deficiency, especially when it can be easily corrected.  It made me think a little of how sometimes in our lives we can find ourselves walking around with deficiencies or sins which could also be easily fixed.  I can understand poor college students doing the best with what they can, but the best part of repentance is that it doesn’t cost any money!
One headlight car just passed, I missed, but here is the Temple

Repentance has been designed by God to be a blessing for us in our lives.  Just like fixing a headlight.  Why grumble about switching out the lights when you know it is going to help you see better while you drive and thus drive better.  Repentance is just that, it is correcting those things which are wrong to make us better and more like Jesus Christ.  It is a blessing to know we can change out the “bad bulbs” and become clean and new again.  Or as we read in 2 Corinthians 5: 17 “Therefore if any man be in Chrsit, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things become new.” 

Ok, this one I just missed, I swear, it is the 3 sec wait with the camera.
No one headlight car, just the intersection :)
Driving this metaphoric car of ours, there are many things that can become corrupt and that can need replacing.  While usual wear and tear can wear down a car, it is the sin in our lives which wear us down.  Replacing parts for cars can be very expensive, and the Lord also tells us “the worth of souls is great in the sight of God.” (D&C 18: 10)  But, Jesus Christ has already paid the price of our repentance.  He has suffered for us; he has provided the “new parts.”  It is a gift we have from God to repent, to take the gift of Christ upon us.  I do know repentance is a gift from God.  I know we can be made clean through Jesus Christ and faith on Him.  I know as we yield our hearts and passions to Him, He can provide us with those things which are best.  While, we all have many imperfections, I know God is always able to help us be aware of something we do need to change.  I know He has forgiven me for the mistakes I have made, and I know He will forgive all men and women as they come to Him.  He bids us, “Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me, for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11: 29-30)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...