Saturday, March 19, 2011

Humbling to the Sole

I remember when I had first gotten my mission call.  A lot of different emotions and other things, but lately I have been thinking about the shoes I bought. 

I purchased them from Browns Shoe Company.  I remember about a week before getting the shoes; I had had my right hip replaced.  From that, I think my legs and foot was a little swollen.  And maybe it was just me not being really able to walk on it.  But either way the shoes I ended up with were too big.  And, when I took them back to exchange them for a smaller size, I think I ended up with the same shoe I tried to replace.

I certainly do have big shoes to fill, both literally and metaphorically.


I serve with some of the best missionaries here in the referral center.  About two weeks ago I was made companions with Elder Howden and replaced Elder Sabin as one of the District Leaders.  Elder Sabin served as our District Leader for a period of fourteen months.  The mission has seen a lot of changes and a lot of ups and downs.  With everything that has happened, Elder Sabin has been there as a glue to keep us all together.

 Most times we often don’t know all that a person has to do until we are able to experience it for ourselves . . . I have big shoes to fill. 

I am grateful for the leadership which Elder Sabin has given us.  It has been easy to overlook all of the small things and everything he has done as the district leader.  Whether it is keeping the mission up to date, working on special projects, planning district meetings every week, extra meetings, and many more things, it is a lot to handle.  Elder Sabin has handled them all quickly, effectively, and still managed to be one of the most effective missionaries here.

Big shoes tend to make me a little clumsy.

I am sure we all have these times where we feel inadequate for what we have been given, but God has prepared a way for us.  He has told us:

And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness.  I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them (Ether 12: 27).

As we are weak, we can rely on God.  I know we can find strength through Jesus Christ.  I have found it in the past, and I know I can find it now.  Let us move forward with hope and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ no matter what inadequacies, fears or doubts we may have.

“For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and love, and of a sound mind.” (2 Timothy 1: 7)

1 comment:

  1. Even if they were too big and clumsy, missionary shoes are still a badge of honor. Proud to have yours to follow. Check out my dusty clunkers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...